As of Release 4.6A, a user may occasionally consume too much main memory. The reason for this can be that a disproportionately large user menu was assigned to the user.
Easy Access menu, transaction SESSION_MANAGER, AGR_HIER AGR_HIERT
One or more roles (activity groups) with large user menus were assigned to a user. The user receives a very large user menu.
For a very large user menu (more than 1500 to 2000 nodes), the system uses too much main memory for each open session. In addition, the initial (unbuffered) log on takes too long.
The tables that contain the menu structure are buffered (AGR_HIER and AGR_HIERT). For this reason, large parts of the menu are kept in the buffer due to large user menus. This may cause displacement effects, which means that table entries are outsourced and in-sourced continuously, which reduces the buffer quality.
To determine the amount of menu nodes for users, you can use the report EASY_ACCESS_NUMBER_OF_NODES. Users that have large user menus are highlighted.
In earlier releases, Note 97612 provided the report PROFGEN_CORR_REPORT_5 for this task.
To reduce the resource consumption by user menus, proceed as follows:
- 1. You can principally avoid the memory consumption by large user memories by deactivating all user menus. All users can use only the SAP menu, which consumes significantly less memory than a large user menu.
- Call transaction SM30 to maintain the table SSM_CUST. Change the value of the entry with the key 'ALL_USER_MENUS_OFF' to the value 'YES'. If this key entry does not exist yet, create it. After this change, only the SAP menu will be available to users. User menus will no longer be displayed.
- 2. Alternatively, you can deactivate the user menu function for each user (that is, for users that have a very large user menu).
- Call transaction SM30 to maintain the table USERS_SSM. Enter the user names to be changed in the table, and select the permitted menu types.
For each user that does not have an entry in USERS_SSM, an entry is added in which the checkboxes "User menu" and "SAP menu" are selected.
- 3. If users that have many menu nodes must use the user menu function despite the negative impact on resources, note the recommendations in Note 357693 regarding menu compression and redundancy prevention. We recommend to deactivate the menu compression (in table SSM_CUST, the entry 'CONDENSE_MENU' must have the value 'NO').
- To obtain a readable, practically redundancy-free menu for such users, you can combine the roles assigned to the users in a composite role and design the menus accordingly in the menu maintenance of the composite role.
Caution:Composite roles cannot be cascaded. For that reason, you can combine only individual roles that have been assigned.
- For users with extensive authorizations, we recommend to create roles using the authorization template SAP_ALL (transaction PFCG - tab 'Authorizations'). Reduce the authorizations according to your requirements, generate the menu-less role and assign it to the user.
- Alternatively, you can also define a customer-specific area menu (using transaction SE43) for users with an extensive scope of functions. You can then integrate the required submenus of the standard SAP system in this.
This menu can be entered a user-specific start menu in the user master (transaction SU01 - tab 'Fixed values').
In table USERS_SSM, only the SAP menu should be active for those users.
The area menu created can also be used as menu template when creating the role for the user.
Repairs in the Code
Important: Especially the use of customized area menus for the individual menu creation requires experience in user administration and hierarchical menu maintenance using transaction SE43. If required, contact your consultant for support during the first set-up.
You can also use the 'Favorites' as an alternative to the user menu to save system resources.
Important: Do not enter any source code here. You must only enter source code in the screen
'Corrections' -> 'Correction instructions'.
Any lines entered here are automatically deleted when you save.
|Release Status:||Released for Customer|
|Released on:||02.12.2008 07:13:50|
|Primary Component:||BC-DWB-SEM Session Manager|
|Secondary Components:||BC-SEC-AUT-PFC ABAP Authorization and Role Administration|
Correction delivered in Support Package
|870026 - Menu entries are missing in compressed user menu|
|332126 - Error in report PROFGEN_CORR_REPORT_5|
|316395 - PROFGEN_CORR_REPORT_5: Users not dsplyd correctly|
|203924 - Performance 4.6 - collective note|